יום רביעי, נובמבר 29, 2006

Shiksas and Goyim

I was at a party last night, well, a small gathering of really smart people, with the bias towards women rather than men. We're eating kosher food, made with love my a WIMP that I adore for many reasons.

The topic turned, as it always does, to dating, and less predicably to the topic of dating non-jewish men. Now, I'm not saying that this doesn't occur, but I always was assured that no matter what levels of frei one reached on the pathways up and down the mountain of Judaism, that was really the last level. I'm not so sure anymore. These women despite any temporary blocks on their activity as Jews, are firm in their identity and certain of their future as part of the people, yet every single woman in that room had a past (or current, but no one was talking about that) typically extended, somwhat serious, relationship with a non Jewish man.

I put it to you, that in this room of five spiritual, smart, funny and talented young women, not one had been able to date a Jewish man in the same way. What's going on with our tribe? What have we been doing for the last 25 years when it comes to our men? What next? Factory style conversions? Dunking in the mikva in turn? We're losing ourselves, everyone.

I've said this before, and I will say it again. I consider myself an optimist when it comes to people, and especially men. I've been blessed in my life right from the beginng with relationships with the male sort, starting with my primary school best friend, Dean, right until now. And I know this was no sociology experiment complete with guards against participant influence and double blinds, but does this not strike you as strange? Such cool women, and I use cool in non-ironic, genuine mode and yet not a glimmer of hope for their male equivalents. So, I know you guys are out there...where are you hiding? Its not JDate, because you might look good with your shirt off but you can't hold a candle to these women when it comes to intellect. And you're not on Frumster, because these women are much more together and sure of themselves than you on there. And you're not at shul, because neither are these women. And you're not at the Shabbat table because I can't remember the last time I sat at Shabbat table and heard any man talk about anything other than fighting the war in Lebanon from their armchair, the latest stringency put out by the Orthodox Union or the impossibilty of finding a girl under the age of 28 on the UWS who wants to date you. So come on, prove me wrong. Show me you're here, because otherwise, we're starting with the goyim.

אין תגובות: